5 Steps to A Low Carb Dinner: Microwave Spaghetti Squash
- Poke holes in a medium sized Spaghetti Squash using a fork. Microwave on High for 10-12 minutes. Remove from microwave with OVEN MITS. ALLOW TO COOL!
- Slice and de-seed Red, Yellow, Green, and Orange peppers (onion optional). Place in a microwave safe bowl, add ¼ cup of water to the bowl, and microwave with LOOSE LID for 4 minutes.
- Brown lean ground turkey meat in a non-stick cooking pan. Add seasoning to taste (garlic powder, hot pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, oregano, salt, black pepper, onion powder, etc).
- Once Spaghetti Squash is completely cooled, cut in half length ways. Caution: It will still be hot inside – use an oven mit or towel to hold the squash as you scrape out the seeds using a fork. Use fork to scrape inside of squash into a large bowl. Throw away the skin.
- Add steamed, strained veggies to spaghetti squash strands. Mix with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt, basil and pepper. Add low sugar, organic pasta sauce to the lean ground turkey. Serve the meat over the “spaghetti” mixture. Store the meat and veggies in separate containers for leftovers.
I made this for my 15 year old cousin, who is used to eating his mom’s homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs, made with beef and enriched pasta. I asked him what he though of this dish and he said, “I would eat this!” He said he “couldn’t tell that it was healthy.”
Some Pampered Chef products I used in this dish made prepping a lot easier:
Black Micro Cooker
Mix N Chop
Executive Cookware 10″ Saute Pan