Two years ago, during Christmas time, I was 20 pounds heavier than I am now. It all happened because I injured by back in October, and then couldn’t work out and also decided to give up on good nutrition and eat my feelings instead. I remember having to wear leggings and a baggy sweater at Christmas because I couldn’t fit into any of my jeans. My face was rounder, and my arms were big and flabby (and I have the pictures that show it!)
I want to help you avoid what happened to me, and instead MAINTAIN this holiday season.
First, we have to address the top 5 reasons why we 5-10 pounds in less than 2 months, and what we can do to avoid it. This post is based off of my Periscope on the same topic. All of my Periscope replays can be found at Katch.me. If you want to skip right to the bottom, you can watch the video instead. You can also find this, and many other videos on my Youtube Channel (head over and subscribe when you are done here!)
5 Reasons We Gain (and what to do about it)
We skip our workouts
- we get “too busy” and skip them, and it becomes easier and easier not to go
- be accountable – post on facebook
- commit to 3-4 times a week or something that is realistic for you
- know you are gonna be eating more anyways, so you need to workout more if you want to maintain
We eat more snacks
- Snacks are amazing, eat them!
- pair them with protein to stabilize blood sugar
- eat in “threes” – always pair a carb with a protein source, and a small amount of fat
- eat small meals every 3 hours, high in protein, stay consistent
We go to holiday parties more
- we eat more when we go hungry! don’t go to a party hungry! drink a protein shake before
- eat protein with all meals
- snack on stuff – even carbs – but eat it with protein!
We stop food prepping
- make easy stuff instead – Crock pot!
- make holiday favorites healthier
- have frozen foods ready or get pre-prepared foods from Trader Joe’s
We drink more
- drinking affects blood sugar, makes us eat more, and miss workouts
- decide if you would rather have dessert or drinks
- if you have drinks, have them with protein
- drink water!
These are just some of the tips I share in my 30 day holiday Nutrition blueprint called “MAINTAIN, don’t gain!”. If you are ready to join me in staying healthy and strong over the holidays, head over here to get the plan and stay accountable!
Thank you so much for visiting and reading, I hope you have the best holiday!
Here’s the Periscope of this blog: